Schools closed, church postponed- President Museveni addresses the nation
The president addressed the nation on the Coronavirus pandemic and announced the drastic measures Uganda was taking. Though it doesn’t have a single confirmed case of the virus yet, Uganda will clearly do everything in its power to keep that way. At the risk of bring everything to a screeching halt, the president announced a 32 day of no large gatherings; this will spread to school, churches and even weddings. But here are the 13 points as clearly listed by the President’s press team.
- Schools, tertiary institutions to close for one month starting Friday, 20th March.
- Religious gatherings, churches, mosques, open prayers suspended for a month with immediate effect.
- Political and cultural public meetings, rallies, conferences, elections suspended for 32 days with immediate effect.
- No outbound travel by Ugandans to or through Category One countries (those severely affected by pandemic) for 32 days. These are; Italy, France, South Korea, China, USA, United Kingdom, Netherlands, Switzerland, Sweden, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Norway Austria, Malaysia, Pakistan and San Marino. Foreigners can leave but not return in the 32 days.
- Ugandans coming back from abroad, including category one countries, will be quarantined at their cost.
- Non-agricultural workplaces, factories, hotels, taxi parks, etc will continue operating but with SoPs, put out by ministry of health, eg compulsory sanitary points, temperature monitors etc.
- Uganda-style weddings that bring together pentagon of groups will be postponed for 32 days from today. If couples in a hurry, do scientific wedding with core members. Not more than 10 people.
- Burials won't be banned but recommend should be done by relatives who are nearby. Mourning be done later. If deceased died of Coronavirus, State will take over burial.
- Crop people, cattle keepers, and fishermen. These should observe proper hygiene practices. Fishermen should be studied closely because they live in concentrated landing sites. Monthly (open air) markets suspended for 32 days.
- Public transport. Taxis, bodas, buses, etc. Advice: Don't travel unless it's absolutely necessary. Also, transport operators be given mandatory soap. In event of an outbreak in given locality, public transport will be suspended.
- Stop merrymaking, discos, bars, music shows, and concerts. Drunkards speak with saliva coming out of their mouths. Suspended for 32 days.
- Virus spreads by sneezing, coughing. Observe hygiene. Close your mouth, etc. Stop touching surfaces, wash your hands, don't shake hands, hugging; also do online transactions.
- Do balanced diet. Eat vitamin C, oranges, lemons, etc.